Quoteworthy


...quaecumque sunt vera, quaecumque pudica, quaecumque justa, quaecumque sancta, quaecumque amabilia, quaecumque bonae famae, si qua virtus, si qua laus disciplinae, haec cogitate.
-- Phil. 4:8

Chrysalis [ 09. Amnion ]



It was all darkness.
But it wasn't unsettling. Sometimes, blinding brightness can keep us in the dark -- like when the stars can't be seen for the sun -- similarly, darkness sometimes illuminates.

In the far off, I thought I heard  gentle sounds of water burbling, like when you are underwater. Maybe I was. But I knew I wasn't, because somehow, I wasn't suffocating. Also, there was no water around, or, I couldn't feel it. It was like waving about in empty space. Yet somehow the darkness itself had resistance, giving that wrap-around, warm feeling. Velvety darkness.
I tried to move about, but there was no up or down, no left or right. I was a suspended point in space.
I remembered one time I had sneaked in late at night to a nearby pool. I didn't swim; I just waded through the water to the middle and flailed about so that I floated on my back. I stared at the sky, at the black cloud curtains behind which the moon and the stars had shied away. 
It felt great to be suspended by the water below. When I try to look at the sky while standing up, I feel so overwhelmed  and along comes the spell of dizziness that makes me feel like toppling over. If I lie on my back and look up, I would feel vulnerable, as if the vastness of the sky itself will come crushing down and hammer me to the ground at any moment. Floating on water, I was able to take in the greatness of sky: sans the dizziness, sans the vulnerableness. To contain that infinite stretch into the finite frame of my mind.
It is reassuring to feel water resistance. In the dark, there were none of those fascinating dynamic brilliance of the silvery liquid the water has turned into during a sunny day. There were no ripples of light moving lazily along the bottom of the pool, like a huge net made up of strands of light has been cast, like a graceful, giant, transparent jellyfish. Yet you can feel it: the smooth friction as it slides along your skin and slips away between your fingers, the chill as it evaporates and leaves your body carrying your body heat away, the heaviness when you shove it around, the buoyancy on your back, the urge to dance.
That was the feeling of this liquid darkness surrounding me. 
If this were a dream, maybe I should wake up; if this were illusion, maybe I should seek the reality; if this were death, maybe I should be reborn. It's just,
What if I got those all wrong? That this is actually awake; that this is reality; that this is life?
I felt like Zhuangzi's butterfly, flapping about between two realms, not even sure whether I should be flapping, or even whether I was a butterfly to begin with. 

3 comments:

yossa said...

"Zhuangzi dreamed he was a butterfly" (莊周夢蝶 Zhuāng Zhōu mèng dié) is a well-known philosophical discourse of Zuangzhi about the difficulty to ascertain reality. Taken from Wikipedia:
"Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi. Between Zhuangzi and a butterfly there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things." (2, tr. Burton Watson 1968:49)

Anonymous said...

--rexy--
Zhuangzi's butterfly: who we are.
There is an anime which feature this idea too...are you the dreamer or you are a dream of someone else?

yossa said...

Some allusions to Milton's Paradise Lost:
"Velvety darkness"
Milton describes Chaos as "palpable obscure" (line 406). The idea is similar here, darkness that is synaesthetic, so intense that it is not only visual but tactile. The difference is that 'Obscure' here is a noun which is derogative while 'velvety' suggests the opposite.
"...there was no up or down, no left or right."
The dimensionlessness echoes Milton's description: "...a dark / Illimitable ocean without bound, / without dimension, where length, breadth, and heighth, / And time and place are lost..." (lines 891-894)