Quoteworthy


...quaecumque sunt vera, quaecumque pudica, quaecumque justa, quaecumque sancta, quaecumque amabilia, quaecumque bonae famae, si qua virtus, si qua laus disciplinae, haec cogitate.
-- Phil. 4:8

The flag of ignorance

I heard this somewhere, I think, in a Christian apologist's podcast, arguing about absolute truth:
If everything is relative, then this statement is relative, too.
That stuck with me for the longest time because it is a solid shelter in the wake of Postmodernism.
But no, it's not about Postmodernism. I found that people I talk with (or others in a certain social media) are simply using Relativism because they don't bother to find out, really. 
A friend expressed his astonishment when I was reading a book related to Zen Buddhism:
"But, aren't you a Christian?"
"Yes, but what's wrong with finding out more about other beliefs?"
(Shakes head) "My other Christian friends simply wouldn't do that."
That, I don't understand. How can you defend your own belief if you don't know about others'? Now, I can only attribute that to laziness. Postmodernism is indeed one of those terms that is bloated beyond recognition and no one can offer a succinct definition of it anymore. It's a hand-waving, sweeping-under-the-rug thing. I don't bother to find out, so to cut the conversation short, I shove it to that trashbin of meanings, Postmodernism.
On the other end of the spectrum, there is a striking parallel with God of the Gaps thinking -- I don't understand and God is the totality of what's mysterious, what I don't understand. The danger of this, of course, your God would become smaller and smaller as you understand more, like Santa Claus is becoming less and less real when you are growing up.

Seekers of Truth, don't rally under the flag of ignorance.

No comments: